Some Anthem customers have been alerted to the fact that Anthem suffered a large-scale cyber attack. We assume that all Anthem customers were included in that notification, but in the event that your company or employees have not yet received notice, we wanted to inform you of the current status.
Anthem is working with the FBI to determine the extent of the compromised data. To provide members with the most current information, Anthem has created a dedicated website – www.AnthemFacts.com –that will be continually updated. Additionally, there is a link from that website to a Frequently Asked Questions page. Some of the notable information from that page includes the following:
- The impacted plans/brands include Anthem Blue Cross, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia, Empire Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Amerigroup, Caremore, Unicare, Healthlink, and DeCare.
- All product lines are impacted by the attack.
- Initial investigation results include knowledge that the member data accessed included names, dates of birth, member ID/social security numbers, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, employment information, and income data.
- Current investigation indicates that the information accessed did not include medical diagnosis or treatment data.
- Anthem does not believe credit card numbers were accessed.
- Anthem is currently working around the clock conducting an extensive IT Forensic Investigation to determine which members are impacted.
- All impacted members will receive notice via mail which will advise them of the protections being offered to them as well as any next steps.
If you are a current or former Anthem customer, we encourage you to visit the above website and share it with your employees. Anthem has also set up a dedicated toll-free number that both current and former members can call if they have questions related to this incident. That number is: 1-877-263-7995.
Hylant will continue to monitor this situation, and we encourage you to do the same. We are confident that as the investigation continues, the status of exposed information will be more defined. Anthem will certainly provide information, instructions, and corrective measures in the coming days.